Sunday 21 September 2008

Wardrobe Malfunctions

I believe that anyone can look attractive if they dress well and clothing is something I've learnt to use to my advantage. Corsetry, stilettos and seamed stockings, fascinators, red lipstick and jewellery help me pretend that I'm not just plump and plain, help me create an illusion, a glamour. I love glamour. Every time someone tells me that I make them feel underdressed, every time a stranger comments on my outfit, it makes my whole day. But while what you wear can turn you from a little bown bird into a peacock, it can also just make you look a bit of a cock. I'm talking about Judy Finnegan's hammock-like bra making a bid for freedom at an awards ceremony, or Janet Jackson's bizarrely spiky nipple fighting its way out on stage. The wardrobe malfunction is one of the cruellest forms of humiliation and as I'm in a confessional mood, here are my top five most embarrassing instances.

Number Five: Picture the scene, I'm at the Leipzig goth festival, I'm with my boyfriend of the time and his band are playing the festival so I have a special access all areas wristband, I'm at the main venue and it's heaving with goths but with my magic wristband I can jump queues, I'm eyeing up other people's outfits and feeling pretty pleased with myself, I'm standing swigging mead with people from bands and feeling pretty damned cool. But what's this? Are these German goths staring in wonder at my amazing dress sense or has the zip on my skirt broken exposing my bum crack to anyone who cares to look? Yeah.

I've written before about the Hancock incident at the cinema that, along with the surfeit of bodily fluids, pushed me to resignation. What I didn't mention was wardrobe malfunction Number Four. So, I arrived at work having had to clean up shit the previous day to be presented with a costume to wear. That was quite bad. The costume consisted of a woolly hat and sunglasses in the middle of summer to be worn whilst standing in front of a hot dog grill. That was fairly awful. I hadn't put my contacts in so I was forced to wear the sunglasses perched above my normal glasses, looking like a mental who couldn't dress themselves properly. That was pretty appauling. Just before going down to my till I bent down to get my name badge and the seam on the inner thigh of my trousers split right up to the gusset meaning I had to spend the entire shift shuffling around concessions like a demented penguin with my legs together so as not to flash anyone. That was the icing on the cake of humiliation.

I try my very hardest to present an elegant exterior even if, as many people have told me, it only lasts until I open my mouth. Unfortunately events often conspire to rid me of any such illusions before I've even managed to do that, such as in incident Number Three. I realise that the tinned foods isle in Asda isn't the classiest of locations but you never know who you'll bump into at the supermarket and I was wearing a new pair of holdups. Has ever such a misnomer been applied to an item of hosiery? I was walking down frozen foods when I felt the right "holdup" come loose. I prayed it would stay put but by the time I'd reached baked goods the rubber top was flapping around my ankle like a bell around a clapper. Class, poise and elegance is not having to dive into the George changing room to peel off an errant stocking, then being forced to walk home in the rain one stocking on, one stocking off.

Class, poise and elegance were exactly what I wanted to present to the gentleman I went on a date with, who was instead confronted with clothing disaster Number Two. I met him for a drink and quite wanted to impress him. Unfortunate then that within the hour I'd gone arse over tit with a full pint in each hand. However, like the trooper I am, I picked myself up, resigned myself to smelling like a brewery and continued in my attempt to charm him. As I got up to go out for a cigarette I noticed him eyeing me up. I raised an eyebrow quizzically, "Just enjoying the view," he smirked. I felt pleased that he fancied me depite my enormous clumsiness and general ineptitude. It was only when I got home, via several modes of public transport, that I realised that when I fell over I'd split my pencil skirt right up the vent, exposing stocking tops, suspenders and far too much thigh to half of London.

Here we are at my Number One most embarrassing wardrobe malfunction. It has crossed my mind that most people probably haven't even had five, never mind enough to make a chart from but that's part of the exciting life I lead, I suppose. Anyway, when I was in my second year at Cambridge I was a member of a society whose entire purpose was to dress up as goths and get drunk. As you can imagine that was quite a stretch for me. On this occasion we were attending the formal dinner at Kings College. I was wearing a new corset and was somewhat over-excited and showing off, therefore managed to drink all of my wine but somehow not to eat anything. We'd hired out the Kings Cellar after the meal for playing of cheesy music and dancing. Among said cheesy music was the Timewarp from Rocky Horror. I think it might have been played twice. Both times I was there enthusiastically stepping to the right etc. to much encouragement. So much encouragement that I did it again in the bar once the cellar was shut. And possibly again another time after that. I may even have got home and done a bit of timewarping in the mirror. Where I discovered that when my arms were raised above my head they pulled my breasts out of the corset, making my nipples visible to everyone. Suddenly most of the applause made sense.

So, come on, what's your most embarrassing wardrobe malfunction?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey, my whole wardrobe is a malfunction.

Glad I made the list. xx

Lauri Shaw said...

Great stuff. You've earned the applause.

I remember no actual malfunctions, but as a young girl I made lots of ill-advised fashion decisions. Once, when I was 18, I walked to a suburban supermarket in see-through lingerie to pick up the milk. The middle-aged hausfraus in the aisles were less than pleased.

"Did you ever?" they hissed to each other?

"What do you mean, she looks nice?" another one brayed at her poor husband, who'd unfortunately gotten busted checking me out. "She doesn't look nice! She looks like a tramp. It's disgusting!"

They were on the verge of stoning me to death in the parking lot when a strange man offered me a lift home in his car. I weighed the odds and decided, all things considered, that I was safest with him.

Shimacat said...

Hmm.

Not exactly a malfunction, unless you describe the whole of the Eighties as a wardrobe malfunction, but I spent quite a lot of quality teenage time back then wearing hand-customised pirate shirts, brandishing my dad's flintlock and perfecting Toyah-style makeup. Rather dashing for semi-rural Scotland.

There was the time I visited my boyfriend, who lived with his parents at the time, wearing what I thought was a black minidress. Quite a short black minidress. Turned out it was in fact a long black t-shirt that wasn't quite long enough to cover my butt cheeks. That made an impression on his mother.

Anonymous said...

I've walked around with my flies undone more times than I care to remember. And I once walked out of a restaurant toilet with my belt undone as well, nicely telegraphing to everyone that I'd been for a poo.

Sophia Furber said...

This concerns someone else's wardrobe malfunction that I caused:

one of my colleagues was moving to Abroad to be with the love of his life, and before his departure we had a suitably rowdy going away party, which continued after-hours his flat (fuelled by all manner of dodgy liquers). As I went to say goodbye, my very pissed colleague picked me up and started piggy-backing me around the hallway, but unfortunately was so drunk that he dropped me. this also caused his trousers to fall down and his boxers to sink halfway down his arse. i collapsed in an incoherent heap on the floor and looked up to see his girlfriend glaring at me. woops.

I also went to an office Xmas party dressed as a mummy (painstakingly wrapped from head to toe in bogroll) only to discover hardly anyone else had bothered to dress up. to make matters worse, everyone was smoking heavily, and i was highly flamable, so after a close call or two i had to admit defeat and go to the loo and 'unravel' myself. However, several men from the office later commented that they found me exceptionally attractive when swathed in bog-roll, so maybe it wasn't such a bad look after all

Sophia Furber said...

i should probably mention that this party had some ridiculously complicated fancy-dress code, something to do with dressing as something beginning with the letter 'm'.. hence the outfit