Monday 15 September 2008

SHAME!

I discovered Bête de Jour's blog a few months ago and it's become a firm favourite. It's well written, funny, and at all times painfully honest. Today he asked his readers, "What's the most embarrassing thing you've ever done?" and as I have an internet crush on him am so good at humiliating myself, I thought I'd (over) share.

As with many of the incidents that sneak up on me when I'm trying to go to sleep, filling me with so much horror as I remember them that I have to stuff my duvet into my mouth to stop myself from screaming, I was very drunk when this occurred. I'd just started sleeping with a bloke in my friendship group that I'd fancied for ages, we'll call him Travis, and was in the pub with him and some others. I'd been drinking all afternoon on an empty stomach and was already about six pints of snakebite and black down before my mate, who we'll call Dan, got the evil glint in his eye that means he's about to suggest some sort of heinous drinking game. Dan's drinking games are always completely incomprehensible, involving all sorts of 'international drinking rules' to catch you out. I know hardened alcoholics who pale at the thought of Dan's drinking games, yet out of some sort of pathetic need to prove myself in front of Travis I decided to join in. Cue me having to down two pints in quick succession and half the pub watching as myself and a friend attempted to recite a ridiculous rhyme with added actions. Pretty embarrassing already, to be honest.

Alcohol can lift you up and make you feel like the king of the world but it can also be an insidious bastard. And so it was only when I stood up and got out into the fresh air after kicking out time that I realised exactly how fucked I was. But by then it was too late and I'd already agreed to go home with Travis. As I began to walk back to Travis's it became increasingly apparent that I was going to have to be sick very soon. In an attempt to retain what was left of my dignity, I asked him to walk ahead of me and told him I'd catch up with him in a minute. As soon as he was suitably far away I began to vomit purple froth into the gutter. Unfortunately I was so utterly bollocksed that the mere act of bending over was enough to cause me to suffer a lack of composure and topple into the gutter, landing in a pool of my own second hand snakebite. I was hauled out by a concerned pair of passing students, while Travis ran back down the road wondering what the hell was going on. Explaining that was pretty fucking humiliating but it does not end there, for I am an adept in the art of self-abasement, an expert in embarrassment.

I continued back to Travis's house, feeling better for the fresh air. I obviously felt so much better on arriving that I thought it would be a good idea to engage in a sex act. Only there are certain sex acts that really shouldn't be attempted when the gag reflex is still quivering and sensitive from a recent regurgitation. Nothing like coating your partner's crotch in emesis to kill the passionate mood. Cue Travis frantically trying to clean himself up and change the bedclothes around me as I sat on the end of the bed sobbing. To Travis's credit, he took it in his stride and we dated for two years. Until he dumped me because he'd decided he was gay. On positive days, I like to think the two incidents aren't connected.

8 comments:

La Bête said...

Excellent! How incredibly vile of you. I'm utterly and thoroughly disgusted by you. Great story.

Ariel said...

Heavens! I tried not to laugh, I promise you I tried but the visuals were too strong not to. Thanks for sharing and brightening up my Sunday!

Dandelion said...

You're not alone. That last part happened to me once. I'd been eating Monster Munch.

Fortunately, my incident was within a rather long-term relationship, so he too took it in his stride :-)

Dandelion said...

Congratulations! You have won Post of The Week with this fine masterpiece of blogging. We loved it. Tip of the top, cream of the crop. We salute you.

La Bête said...

Congratulations!

I demand that I am at the top of the list of thankees when you come to make your acceptance speech.

Our Glamorous Heroine said...

Ariel, my pleasure and I'm glad it made you laugh. Some years after the incident I'm laughing about it too.

Dandelion, I'm so glad it isn't just me that's suffered this particular form of sexual malfunction! And, gosh, thank you. Who knew that the truly disgusting would go down so well? Er, as it were.

Bête, what can I say? You are my muse when it comes to stories of gross misfortune. Hmm, that wasn't meant to be nearly as insulting as it sounds. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Léonie said...

Oh God, yes, I have had similar shame! Can we start a support group?

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but this is one of the funniest things I've ever read :-) Marvellous